Edinburgh is one of the amazing cities in the world. It is the second highest tourist attraction city in the UK after London. Are you planning for a trip to Edinburgh? You must need to know more about the top tourist sites in Edinburgh. Get to know about the best season to visit the city along with your family. People usually get attracted to the cobblestone streets, gardens, the historic buildings and free museums.
There are ghost tours to visit which are more interesting and adventurous to all age groups. In this guide you’ll get all the necessary travel information. Get to understand all about the best places to visit in the city, and where to stay. Finding top best restaurants for delicious meals and much more.
1. Find top attractions in Edinburgh –
The Top 10 tourist attractions are:
Royal Mile, Calton Hill, Edinburgh Castle, Princes street Gardens. The Palace of Holyroodhouse, St. Giles Cathedral, Scott Monument. And Greyfrairs Bobby, Dean Village, The real Mary King’s Close.
- Museums in Edinburgh – National Museum of Scotland, Museum of Edinburgh, Scottish National Gallery, Museum of Childhood. The People’s Story Museum, Museum on the Mound, National War Museum, and Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art. And Scottish National Portrait Gallery, The Writer’s Museum, Surgeons’ Hall Museum.
- Parks and Gardens – Calton Hills, Prince Street, Royal Botanic Garden, and Water of Leith Holyrood Park.
- Bars and Pubs – In Edinburgh’s Bars and pubs, you will get Scotch Whisky, and Scottish beer.
- Churches and Graveyards – Canongate Kirk, St Margaret’s Chapel, Tron Kirk, The Hub, Greyfriars Kirk. Cemeteries like Canongate Kirkyard, Greyfriars Kirkyard, old Calton Burial Ground, Dean Cemetery.
2. Getting to Edinburgh –
You can travel from the United States, Canada, Australia, Europe, and Britain.
Visitors from the US, gets a direct flights from Delta Airlines and from United Airlines.
Visitors from Canada will travel non-stop from Toronto to Edinburgh through Air Canada rouge.
For Australian citizens, the popular airline is British Airways.
For European citizens, there are flights with low costs. There are flights from numerous destinations like Spain, France, Italy, Ireland, Germany, Belgium etc.
British cities provide direct flights from British Airways, EasyJet,Flybe and Ryanair
3. How to roam in Edinburgh –
- Bus – There are frequent bus services for 24 hours in Edinburgh city.
- Tram – Edinburgh has 15 tram stops that connect Edinburgh airport with New Town.
- Taxis – Edinburgh has black cabs similar to London’s.
4. Shopping in Edinburgh –
The city has everything to offer the visitors. Interesting varieties of shops are available there.
The best Shopping areas in Edinburgh – Department stores, Shopping centers, shops
Usually Traditional products like Whisky, Biscuits, Haggis, Music
5. Edinburgh Foods –
- Traditional Scottish Food – Haddock, Kipper, Neeps and Tatties, Cock-a-leekie, Scotch broth, Partan bree.
- Cullen Skink, Stovies, Grouse, Oatcakes, Dundee cake, Shortbread, Cranachan.
Haggis is the most popular Scottish dish.
Most restaurants often serve lunch between 12 noon and 2 pm. And dinner begins at 6pm and finishes at 8:30-9pm.
6. Activities you can do in Edinburgh –
Take a walking or riding tour. You can walk freely around Edinburgh city. You can have a day trip to Loch Ness, Glencoe, mountains, Castle and The Highlands. And, there is a free Harry Potter tour for Edinburgh. For all age groups there is a free Ghost Tour. There is a haunted underground ghostly vault. You can enjoy the Scottish capital city for 48 hours.
7. Where can you stay in Edinburgh? –
To stay in Edinburg, there are budget hotels and apartments. Variety of deals are available as per the guests convenience. In Edinburgh, you can find sharing rooms under 15 Euros per night. The stay price doubles in Edinburg in the festive month of August. Well, the best, popular and most demanded accommodation is Royal Mile near High Street.